Copyright © Kerry's Cool Creations
Design by Dzignine
Wednesday 12 June 2013

Guest Tipster over at ScrapMuch?!

Thank you for stopping by on this extra special day!
You may or may not be aware that I'm a guest tipster over on the ScrapMuch? blog today!

I made a YouTube process video using their June kit club kit and it is being featured on their blog! Here is the written walkthrough of the process video, as I know it's quite fast and it's easy to miss things in it (for which I apologize)!



Here is a list of items I used in making this layout!
- ScrapMuch? June kit
- Medium-weight chipboard
- Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist (Hula Hoop)
- American Crafts Bazzill Basics black cardstock
- Scotch Quick Dry adhesive
- Liquitex Modeling Paste
- Pink Paislee Mistables Misting Mask
- Tim Holtz Tonic Paper Piercing Tool
- Tim Holtz Tonic Distress Tool
- Paper Trimmer
- Gesso
- Trim
- Flowers
- Bling


First, I created my shadow box by cutting 4 - 1.5" strips from a 12x12 piece of chipboard.

Using 8 - 1" x 12" strips of the black cardstock, I created corners for the shadow box sides by scoring lengthwise at 1/2" and adhering this "hinged" strip to both the strips of chipboard and the large 12x12" background piece of chipboard, on all 4 sides, on both the outside AND inside of the shadow box.

I used 8- 2"x .5" strips to form the corners of the shadowbox to keep the sides from falling down. I scored these in half widthwise at 1", and then adhered them to all 4 corners on both the outside and inside of the shadow box.

Because the shadowbox was just a smidge smaller than exactly 12"x12", I had to cut about 1/8" from the edge of the backgroud paper all around for it to fit snugly.

I used my tim holtz distress tool to scuff up the edges of the background paper I chose.
I later on end up covering those anyway. LOL

I then used the acrylic paint dabber that came in the kit to add colour to my edges and paper in a random way. I sprayed some water on the paper using my mini mister to try and tone down the green-ish colour from the dabber. That didn't make much difference after the fact. 

I used my Tattered Angels Hula Hoop glimmer mist to add some sheen to the background paper.

After adhering the background paper to the shadow box, I cut some strips of another paper that came in the kit to add to the edges of the shadow box on the inside edges. Then I used the same dabber to add some colour to the chipboard edges of the shadow box.

At this point, I still found the green dabber colour too vibrant for my tastes, so I took some gesso and added it randomly to the background paper to cover up some of the dabber colour.

I then used some of the modeling paste and the misting mask to add some texture to the background.
I figured since this was a shadow box, I should try to avoid making a "flat" layout.

Off camera, I used one of the polaroid frames that came in the kit, and framed an image of myself and some classmates from college "studying". The die cut title that came with the kit was perfect for this layout as it said "Hip 2 be square"!

Using my paper piercing tool, I made 2 holes at the top right corner of the shadow box so that I could use the twine and banners that came in the kit to make a little bannered corner in the box. :)

Because I wasn't a fan of the corners in the box as they were, I covered them up with some trim I had in my stash. It also added a lot of texture to the corners.

I layered some of the stickers that came in the kit onto some black cardstock, so that I could add even more visual dimension to the layout.

Because the layout was going to be so chunky, I added a pocket behind the polaroid framed photo so that I could add journaling to the layout afterward if I wanted to.

After laying the parts of my layout out on the background, I didn't like that my photo, embellishments and title were "floating", so I grounded it all with the same paper I used for the inside edges of the shadow box.

I used foam tape on the back of the photo to give it a raised look from the rest of the layout components.

And then I just finished off with some bling, flower and mini tile embellishments!

I hope you enjoy this video as much as I enjoyed making this layout. It was my first shadow box layout and I hope it's not my last!

Please feel free to post your questions and comments, if you have any, and I'll be sure to get back to you ASAP!

Thank you all for dropping by!!

Krafty Kerry signing off!

0 comments:

Post a Comment